Skip to content ↓

Wexham School

Wexham School
Sports College

Opportunity Inspiration Success

Music

You are here: 

The team and facilities:

The music department is situated within a purpose built Creative Arts block, with one main teaching room and 3 practice rooms. The largest practice room benefits from a set of guitars, an electric piano and a drum kit. The remaining two practice rooms both have an electric piano. In addition, the music department has a wide range of instruments available for whole class teaching, including a full samba kit, African djembe drums, ukuleles, xylophones and keyboards at each desk.

Within the department there is one specialist class teacher and one Creative Arts technician. A number of peripatetic teachers visit the school each week to deliver private instrumental lessons on the guitar, piano, voice and drum kit.  The peripatetic teachers deliver high quality lessons and often receive outstanding results in the students’ music exams, with many gaining merits and distinctions. The lessons are offered on a first come first served basis and are currently subsidised by the school. This is a great platform and opportunity for any student wishing to study music further at GCSE level.

 

Key Stage 3:

Students have the opportunity to study a range of topics in Year 7 and 8, with an emphasis on learning a number of different instruments. Students learn about the elements of music through their practical lessons and will learn how to play Brazilian samba drumming, African djembe drumming, the ukulele, the keyboard and the xylophone. An emphasis is also placed on students singing throughout the music curriculum.

In the Summer term, there is a Creative Arts interform based on a theme, which each class will work on in their lessons. There will be a final performance at the end of the unit which parents are invited to attend. This evening will be a competition with prizes being awarded to the best performance in each subject and an overall winner.

 

Key Stage 4:

GCSE Music follows the WJEC Eduqas specification. The expect standard of musicianship from the exam board of the student is grade 3, however, students may study music if they are passionate about the subject and willing to practice for two performances on an instrument. For students who learn an instrument privately with one of the peripatetic teachers, they must do their performance on this instrument.

In addition to performance, students have to compose two pieces of music in certain styles using specialist software. Coursework (composition and performance), makes up 60% of the total GCSE grade., whilst the remaining 40% is a written aural listening exam.

Throughout the GCSE, students will learn a range of different music genres and styles from Baroque and Classical music (1600-1850) through to popular music and Bhangra. They will study two set works – Mozart’s ‘Eine Kleine Nachtmusik’ and Rainbow’s ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’. Students will be examined on the different genres of music in their listening exam to be sat in May of Year 11.

 

Subject

Year Group

Exam Board

Specification

Music

9

Eduqas 

GCSE Music (601/8131/X)

Music

10

Eduqas

GCSE Music (601/8131/X)

Music

11

Eduqas

GCSE Music (7010)